People try to find the best microwave for many reasons, all of which can be the right one. But if there’s one reason that’s more right than others, it’s bacon. So, we’re going to show you how to do bacon in the microwave. Whether your preferred form is crispy, chewy, or charcoal, keep scrolling to find out how to use your microwave for cooking bacon slices. And for a more general review of microwave functionality, you can click here to learn how to bake in the microwave.
- Microwaves are an effortless way to prepare any type of bacon in a short cooking time without compromising taste.
- Using paper towels, uncooked bacon strips, and a microwave-safe dish, it can be ready in a matter of minutes.
- Tools like a special microwave bacon tray are available for purchase to enhance the overall quality.
How to Microwave Bacon
Culinary historians say the culinary staple dates back to 1500 BCE, but the cooking method of this ancient delight is ever-changing. The microwave oven is an outstanding tool to cook up a plate of bacon in little time, with little mess, while still preserving big-time flavor. And if you have safety concerns about cooking raw food in the microwave, you can read our article covering how long to cook things in the microwave to kill bacteria.
Most of the time, crispy bacon will take at least three minutes to cook. But on average, it takes closer to 5-6 minutes.
STEP 1 Prepare the Plate
- First, put down a single layer of paper towel on your microwave-safe plate.
- Next, put the uncooked bacon onto the microwave tray. Make sure the bacon isn’t overlapping.
- Then, place another layer of paper towel on the slices of bacon.
STEP 2 Setup in Microwave
- After putting the dish in the microwave, set the cooking time for three minutes.
- Set the microwave to high.
- Hit start, and wait a minute before checking on the bacon. You can expect crispy bacon to cook for about five minutes and chewy bacon for about three.
- Add another minute necessary.
- Keep watching your bacon until cooked to your delectation.
STEP 3 Cool Down and Cleanup
- Remove the dish and set it on the counter to let the bacon cool for a minute.
- Remover the layers of paper towels.
- Check inside the microwave for any grease splatter and clean out with hot water and soap.
Many microwaves will cook bacon at different levels of time, so monitor your bacon to make sure it doesn’t overcook or undercook. Sometimes it will need a minute more or a minute less depending on the wattage of your microwave.
Is microwaving bacon a healthy cooking method?
While bacon isn’t necessarily the healthiest option, microwaving is just like cooking it on a stovetop or in the oven.
Can frozen bacon be microwaved?
It’s possible to do this, but not recommended unless thawed because it may lead to uneven cooking.
Is it possible to microwave turkey bacon?
Microwaving turkey bacon is the same process as regular pork bacon.
STAT: A single strip of cooked bacon has an average of 54 calories. (source)